Wednesday, June 1, 2011

I Spit on Your Grave

I Spit on Your Grave (2010)

A writer who is brutalized during her cabin retreat seeks revenge on her attackers, who left her for dead.



"Tell me again how sorry you are."

The remake of a film that I found to be boring, dull and abrasive. I wondered if they would keep the same feel of the original, which was dirty and inane all in one. The problems in the first film are fixed in the remake, which turned out to be a lot better than I expected. It fits right in with Hostel or Saw and it feels like it leaves the exploitation genre back in the 70's.




Jennifer, a young and beautiful writer heads up to a remote cabin to write her next novel. While there she runs into some unfriendly young men, who brutalize her physically and sexually. They leave her for dead in a river, raped and beaten. She shows up alive and vengeful. 




The stupidity of the original is cleverly ignored here. She used her sexuality to lure the men in the original, the same men who just raped and woman and left her to die. Would they really be stupid enough to fall for that crap? Here, she simply takes them by surprise and tortures them. To a degree of 'I need to look away'. There was one scene for me in which I cringed a bit, so bravo on that front. I'll never look at fish hooks and birds the same again. 




The film has some pacing issues, but the content is brutal enough to make you think, or make you cheer. Bravo to Sarah Butler who braves the role, she bares herself on screen and is humiliated. The rape scene is nowhere near as graphic or violent as the original, or even the Last House On The Left remake, but she still deserves and applause for taking on such a role.

6.5/10

Have you seen it? If so, what's your opinion?


19 comments:

  1. Looks cheesy :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was looking at watching this not to long ago, thanks for the review. Will still check it out I think

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice review, I like the way your write

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to give this a fair shot and try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i havent seen this one but since i love horror movies i will definitly see it! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now this is one real gory revenge movie and not for the weak hearted lol. My eyes still water (and not with tears of joy) when remembering some of the scenes lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen this yet, but the original is amazing for what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. haven't seen it yet but it looks pretty good!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Garbage of a movie, i mean Raped to near comatose state and she falls in a river not only does she not die from infection, hypothermia or other ailments she survives for what seems like at least 1 month on Frogs and snakes?? without any clothing? and or survival training, Really?? this film has some holes that just killed it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this kind of movie, will definitely watch it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Was a bit boring, not my taste. Still nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i agree, the first one was really boring, and full of rape.

    ill check out the new one

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was going to watch this when it was released but I got put off by the name, although tempted to give it a watch now!

    Thanks man!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought about seeing this, ill give it a watch now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to watch it. Looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. awww B movie? sigh... the title gave it a much better build up xD

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hm. Interesting. Probably won't see it.

    ReplyDelete